Pages

Wednesday 16 May 2012

The End....

As we wind down to the end of another school year, I can't help but feel discouraged. Some home ed years just DON'T go as planned. At the beginning of the year, I write down goals for me and the kids...for school, for character building and discipline issues, and for our spiritual growth. I order curriculum, books, games, or whatever else I think I might need. I organize and replenish my supplies, then step back and think..."This is gonna be a great year!"

The school year begins and the kids and I are feeling great and getting loads done. Then it hits...I can't exactly put my finger on it, but it happens...the point at which I'm discouraged and it rubs off onto the kids.

Let's recap, shall we?

Did it begin when I realized that Emily stopped watching her Algebra dvds and doing ANY math work because it was too hard? And she didn't tell me about her troubles? Maybe it was when I discovered Zachary was only doing half his work in the week because the dvds were boring? Or when he stopped doing math, spelling, history and science because it didn't interest him, like reading did? Or maybe it was when I realized that Jacob DID have a learning problem, possibly dislexia? Or possibly realizing that for some reason Felicity knows all her letters, sounds, and numbers on one day and the very next day knows nothing?

Insert scream here...

Yes, Stephen is my academic and does all his work and gets very good marks on everything he does, but I find him lying on the couch with his DS or playing with the dog, being unkind to his siblings and then having to constantly remind him to do his chores and make his bed EVERY day!!

Frustration is at peak for me. Since all I can see is what I HAVEN'T accomplished this year. So here's a list of what we HAVE accomplished TODAY:

*The littles have learned lots of scripture (hopefully it will move from their minds to their hearts).

*I have taught the littles the Bible from Genesis to Judges and taught the birth, life, death, burial and ressurrection of Jesus.

*We read aloud most every day.

*We've made Wednesday our "baking day". Emily, Jacob and Felicity are becoming quite the bakers and I rarely buy sweets for them anymore.

*Jacob is to be tested for dislexia next week and is now reading (but he still hates it). He reads his Bible nearly every day and does chores without being asked (His favourites are cleaning the car and the back garden).

*Emily has a tutor for math and Steve is checking her assignment book daily. She is doing well with the piano and continues to "inhale" books. She is looking into joining the RAF and has really grown a lot spiritually this year.

*Zachary has forgone most of the dvd's but has agreed to try read the history and science books at least. He has become a wonderful pianist, wood-worker and is excelling in athletics.

*Stephen is starting to do things without being reminded twenty times, being kinder to his siblings and is consistantly reading his Bible. He continues to do well in school and becoming more accomplished in karate.

*Felicity is enjoying being read to and we have less days of her acting like I've taught her nothing in the last nine months. She has a fantastic memory and has learned all kinds of poems and scripture and is doing well in ballet.

At the end of the day, I have to keep reminding myself of this verse: "And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not." Galations 6:9

No comments:

Post a Comment